France - Launch of Louis Vicat Foundation
During the opening reception of the exhibition “Let’s celebrate 200 years of astonishment with Vicat”, which took place on September 13 2017 at Hôtel de l’Industrie (in Paris), Vicat Group introduced its newly-created company Foundation: Louis Vicat Foundation.
Sophie Sidos, Foundation President, seventh generation descendent of Louis Vicat outlined the Foundation’s main targets:
- Promote scientific and technical culture from Louis Vicat’s works and discoveries,
- Safeguard and promote the cultural Heritage made from Cement,
- Support actions to promote education and solidarity.
In this year of the 200th anniversary of artificial cement invention, Louis Vicat Foundation acquired Louis Vicat’s home in Souillac, situated in Lot, France, where he first made his discovery in 1817. Once renovated, this house will be a place of memory dedicated to the invention of artificial cement and its inventor and will be open to visitors.
- The Foundation is already involved in other operations : by supporting the creative work of the rock-garden artist Marc Olson who designed a mandorla made of natural quick-setting cement depicting Saint Irenee, given to the Catholic University of Lyon. Besides, the Foundation will also inaugurate the Louis Vicat Boardroom in this university.
- Louis Vicat Foundation is partner together with Jacques Rougerie Foundation in the international architecture contest, for the attribution of the Louis Vicat prize “Architecture of the Sea”, about the ports of the future, which will be given in the Institut de France in 2018. The contest invites architects, designers and engineers to conceive brand new solutions to meet up the challenges of the ongoing climate change.